Cryogenic Fluid and Thermal Systems
Cryogenic systems are at the heart of spacecraft propulsion, and the reliable performance of these systems is critical to a successful space mission. GT-SUITE predicts the fluid and thermal behavior of these systems using a state of the art two phase flow solution powered by a large database of fluid properties provided by NIST, including common cryogenic fluids for space applications such as hydrogen, oxygen, methane, helium, nitrogen and more.
Standard components like heat exchangers, valves, pumps, compressors, tanks, pipes, and volumes are included. When CAD data is available of the flow system, GT-SUITE’s pre-processor, GEM3D, discretizes the flow system and models heat transfer from the flow passages to the surrounding structure.
Analyze steady state operating points or transients ranging from water hammer to thermal loading over a flight mission. Built-in optimization and DOE tools allow component sizing, system layout, and optimization of control strategies. Beyond thermal and fluid analysis, GT-SUITE supplies complete component libraries which simulate the physics of mechanical, electrical, magnetic, chemistry, and controls components as well.
- Automatically create 1D flow system model from 3D CAD for the complete ECS system, air distribution system, liquid circuits and thermal masses
- 3D Tools for automatic meshing of heat exchangers, fans and air space
- Tank model separating liquid from ullage
- Fully parametric for easy model changes
- Flow solution is based on Navier-Stokes equations (robust and stable)
- Always solves energy equation
- Solution is stable, even for two-phase fluid systems with dynamic control
- Validated templates for turbines, compressors, heat exchangers, valves, and more
- Model heat exchangers in desired fidelity, from simple models for initial studies to detailed
- Co-simulation link with TAITherm (RadTherm) to provide thermal boundaries including 3D radiation to GT-SUITE models and study cryogenic system behavior under radiation loading in space
- Co-simulate with virtually any commercial or in-house software
- GT-SUITE built-in DOE and optimization to optimize anything from component-level to complete energy consumption